The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the Nigerian government have strongly condemned the attempted coup in Benin Republic, which was foiled by loyal security forces in the early hours of Sunday, December 7, 2025.
In a statement, ECOWAS said it received the news of a military takeover attempt with “consternation,” stressing that those behind the plot must be held accountable for any loss of life or property. The regional body described the move as an attack on the will of the Beninese people and called for strict adherence to the country’s constitution.
ECOWAS praised the swift action of the Beninese government and the Republican Army in restoring order and reaffirmed its willingness to support Benin, including the possible deployment of the regional standby force to protect the nation’s constitutional and territorial integrity.
The Nigerian government also issued a firm condemnation through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, describing the attempted overthrow as “a direct assault on democracy” and a destabilising act. Ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa said Nigeria stands in full solidarity with Benin, commending the professionalism of its security forces in safeguarding democratic institutions.
Nigeria reiterated its commitment to democracy and the rule of law, warning that unconstitutional changes of government threaten the region’s progress. Abuja called on ECOWAS and the international community to unite in denouncing the coup attempt and upholding shared democratic principles.
Meanwhile, Benin’s Interior Minister, Alassane Seidou, confirmed that loyal troops had thwarted the mutiny launched by a small group of soldiers identifying themselves as the “Military Committee for Refoundation.” The group had earlier appeared on state television to announce the removal of President Patrice Talon, the closure of borders, and the suspension of political parties.
Gunfire was reported in parts of Cotonou as the events unfolded, heightening concern among diplomats. French, Russian, and U.S. embassies have since warned their citizens to remain indoors and exercise caution.
The attempted coup comes months before Benin’s 2026 election, in which President Talonv currently serving his second and final constitutional termnis expected to step down.
Authorities say the situation is now under control, and calm has gradually returned to the capital.
Discover more from ParrotMouth
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.


