More than a dozen soldiers have been detained in Benin Republic after a failed coup, with the authorities identifying those believed to be the masterminds, according to military and security sources cited by AFP on Sunday.
One military official said 13 suspects have been taken into custody so far. Another confirmed that all those detained are on active duty, except for one former member of the armed forces.
The arrests came after a surprise broadcast on Benin’s national television early Sunday, in which a faction of officers announced that they had overthrown President Patrice Talon and dissolved state institutions. A self-described Military Committee for Refoundation said it had seized control of the country.
Moments later, the presidency dismissed the broadcast, telling AFP that President Talon was safe and that loyal troops were working to stabilize the situation. The presidency described the coup attempt as the action of “a small group” with limited influence, saying: “This is a small group of people who only control the television. The regular army is regaining control. The city and the country are completely secure.”
Discover more from ParrotMouth
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.


